Thursday, August 19, 2010

Life Mantra #4: Take Risks

So, to recap my mantras thus far:

Slow down!
Just do it.
Keep it simple.
and,

Take Risks. At one point and time I would have emphatically told anyone who asked that I am NOT a risk taker. I have no desire to jump out of planes, swim with sharks, or be shot out of a canon. Those things, to me, were completely the realm of "risk takers."And, that is not me. Definitely, not me. But, I am realizing that risks come in all shapes and sizes. And, to be a risk taker doesn't mean I ever have to jump out of a plane or scale a mountain(so don't worry mom, if you are reading this. I promise I am not going to join a renegade motorcycle gang or anything.ha!). No, infact, I am finding that sometimes taking risks involve absolutely no physical challenge whatsoever. Sometimes, speaking the truth in love can be riskier than swimming with sharks. Sometimes, letting go of anger, pride, control, bitterness, and the like can be more risky than any daredevil stunt ever thought of being. Mending bridges, telling your children "no" and meaning it, heck, telling other people "no" and meaning it...its all risky. It is interesting to me that some of the riskiest risk takers I have ever known are also the most emotionally afraid people as well. Climb to the top of a mountain? Yes. Talk to the their loved ones about the things that matter most in this life? Uh. No. Because, that involves a kind of risk that leaves you vunerable, naked emotionally, exposed for who you really are and how you truly feel. It also leaves you with the very real risk of rejection. But, I am coming to realize how very important these kind of risk takers are. And that is why I believe that this is the 4th life mantra the Lord is pointing me toward. And it is not easy, even for a consumate talker such as myself. I need the Lord's strength, His direction, His tact if I am to be the right kind of risk taker.

Physically speaking too, there are risks I need to be more willing to pursue. Excersice, volunteer work, activism in causes I believe in, relationships I need to put more footwork in, all these things are swimming around in my head as well. Risk taking is another area of my life were I can really take a lesson from my children. I mean when you think about it every day is a risk for them. Watching Liam pull himself up and walk around the room on unsteady legs just to find out what is on the other side. He knows he is going to fall down...alot, but he does it any way. Sometimes he cries but he still gets up and tries it again. He heads for completely dangerous situations daily without even thinking about the possibilites. He has to try just to see what will happen. And, Graham, oh my gosh, Graham. That boy is a total lesson in risk taking. He walks right up to new kids and makes friends. He rides his bike again the minute after he falls down(and gets a scooby doo band aid). He is right back at it. Life is risky. Just being alive is risky. I guess the choice is to avoid it or jump right in. So, here it goes...splash!

3 comments:

carla said...

Thanks. That fits in right with what we were talking about at Bible Study tonight. I have some things to think about.

Janet Olson said...

Funny you should talk about this. Mike and I had one od those risky conversations the other day. It was good but I was so nervous about it. Like you. I am a talker. So one would think it was easier. Haha. No being emotionally vulnerable is stinking scary. You go girl.

Karen said...

Pressing the like button right now...so true...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...