Monday, August 24, 2009

Welsh Rarebit or Rabbit per request :)

Rarebit or Rabbit? Nobody knows for sure but it is diddlydadgum yummy know matter what you call it!

Ingredients

3ounces coursely grated cheddar, about a cup (the sharper the better I think)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (I used salted doesn't really matter)
1 1/2 teaspoons milk (again eyeballing is best)
pinch of dry mustard (I used dijon because it was all I had)
2 slices of bread (I was able to spread it on 4 slices, 2 would be loaded with cheese)

Procedure
1. Preheat the broiler.

2. Combine the cheddar, butter, milk and mustard in a small saucepan. Melt over very low heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon(not sure why it has to be wooden? I used plastic.) until smoothe about 5min.

3. Place the bread on a small ungreased baking sheet and toast under the broiler on one side very briefly, just until it starts to brown. Remove from the broiler and carefully turn the bread over. Divide the melted-cheese mixture over the bread. (Don't worry if it drips over the side; the browned bits that stick to the sheet are part of the fun.) Broil until the top is bubbly and beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Remove each rabbit to a plate with a spatula.

4. Serve immediately.

I have seen many recipes for this in my day. Most call for strong ale as the liquid. As you know, my strong Nazarene background and the fact that my grandma would roll over in her grave if I bought a can of beer have kept me from trying it ;) Actually, I would cook with it I just have never bought any before! But, its good know matter what.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...