Graham and Heath changing our flat tire in Tok
Mama Grizz making a run for the woods
Waiting for the perfect shot
Black Bear these guys are actually the most aggressive
Picnic at Shag JunctionI need to rethink my opinion of the Yukon Territory because it is beeeautiful! When we came through here in August 2007 the weather was pretty bad. The visibility was really poor and it was cold! We have had the best weather this time so we have been able to see so much more. Its just gorgeous. And, the wildlife! I told Heath that I feel like the animals are saying to eachother, "Hey, the Smiths are coming through here lets be sure to stand on the side of the road and wave." Seriously! We didn't see anything when we moved to Alaska. Today we saw a black bear and a Mama Grizzly with her cub! We were literally so close we could, could if we had not been extremely careful, touched them. So far, on this trip, we have seen countless Trumpeter Swans, 1 fox, lots of ducks, eagles, a moose, rabbits, and a partridge in a pear tree. Its been so cool!
A couple of words for our Coastie friends coming after us:
If you thought the frost heaves were bad in Alaska...you ain't seen nothing yet.
The Border Guards are a bit intimidating coming into Canada. Don't let 'em get to you. I always feel guilty when they start asking questions. Like I have totally done something wrong. I start to break out in a cold sweat I would probably confess to anything if they asked me. "Yes, yes! Officer. I did try to sneak apples into your country knowing full well the danger of fruit flies!!!"
Canadian hospitality is so, so. The visitors centers are always really nice and friendly(best bathrooms too) but the business owners don't seem to be to concerned with making sure you enjoy your stay in Canada. Although, they have been much friendlier this time here at the Talbot Arm, where we are staying...
The Talbot Arm...trucker stop if ever there was one. But, its a bed and a meal. Thats about it.
More later ;0
1 comment:
Thank you for doing this. I know its tough to take pics, post pics, and write about your journeys with a flat tire and a sick little boy...but its sooo fun to see how your trip is going. It makes me feel like I am right there with you. What a globe trekker you've become Christie! You've gotten to see things most people will never get to see in a lifetime! I can't wait for you to get here! Drive safe and keep having fun! Love you.
Post a Comment