Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy Candlemas Day!

I have been reading a book I have had forever, Mrs. Sharp's Traditions: Pastimes of the Victorian Home, by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It has great ideas for family celebrations. I thought this little bit on Candlemas was interesting:

"Following Jewish tradition, on the forthieth day after a woman gave birth she would go to the temple to present her child to the Lord. Candlemas Day was the day-February 2-that the Holy Family visited the temple in Jerusalem with the newborn Christ Child. A prophet named Simeon saw Jesus there and declared the baby to be "the light of the world." Hence, it became traditional to bless the liturgical candles that would be used throughout the year."

Candlemas was also the official day for taking down the Christmas decorations...I dont think I could last that long. I know our Christmas tree was almost a fire hazard this year. It was dry by Christmas day.

So, happy Candlemas day one and all! Think I am going to light a yummy smelling candle ;)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...