Friday, April 1, 2011
All In The Family
"With a name like Smuckers it has to be good." Remember that commercial? Well, in my house that is most certainly true and it has been true since almost before I can remember. One of my earliest memories is sharing toast with Smuckers apricot jam and milk with a teeny tiny bit of coffee in it with my great-grandma way back in Ohio. I know I had to be very young because both my grandma and my great-grandma moved to Oregon to live with us when I was 4. I have this lovely hazy memory of going down a couple of steps into their kitchen, following "Beekum," which is what I called my great-grandma until she passed away when I was 18, and "helping" her make her morning toast and coffee breakfast. This tradition carried on when they moved west to be with us. Now, the tradtion is still going strong because my youngest boy LOVES apricot jam. We don't do the coffee part as of yet, and it will probably be tea when we get to that part of the ritual, but it is a fabulous start. I hope that my little(I always think of her as "little" but she was really quite tall) Beekum knows what she started is still going strong. I miss her so much. Another morning ritual for me is to immediately open all the blinds when I wake up. I realized, with some sadness this morning, that it totally didn't matter whether Iopened any of the blinds today or not. The gray sky outside offers practically no light whatsoever, getting slightly tired of this gloomy weather... Well, I am organizing my recipes today. Throwing away a lot of loose recipes that I never look at. I have probably reaced my quota of cookbooks and recipe printing but it is just so hard to resist that next cookbook, or print just one more...I think I might be an addict. I think "a lot" should be one word. So glad its friday :0) Blogger is not letting me make paragraphs and it is getting on my nerves...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my - what a sweet trip down memory lane! Don't we just miss those simple, innocent times?
OPEN those blinds, girl! Gray or not, the sky has wonderful shades of color and comfort in that grayness. It is "the dawn before the breaking light" (light = sunny spring and summer days)when all is new and waiting to be discovered and if your blinds are closed you may just miss a blessing clothed in shades of gray. A blessing just for you. ;).
I know - blogger is being a cyber brat these days! It took me FOREVER to print my "Cup" post. FOREVER! ! ! I can't stand being told what to do by something I can't see or touch or has no soul or moral compass. Period. But I won! - tee-hee
Have a wonderful weekend. Don't look at the sky as gray - but as shades white with a hint of mystery!
LOVE YA
Wow, I was actually thinking about Beekum the other day, she was a specially lady.
And regarding cook books and recipies, i know what you mean, we need to start a cookbooks anynomous club, cause I had a ton, I made about 60 dollars off of my books that I got rid off, sometimes you just have to let go.
Post a Comment