Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What's Cookin'?

I like to cook/bake. And, truth be told I am fairly good at it. But, I am a moody cook. My cooking passions ebb and flow. Some weeks I am in a "zone" inspired and on fire. Cooking just flows and I am in the groove. Other weeks I can barely open a can of soup without much thought and concentration. I am bored and don't want to even think of cooking. Yep, I am a bi-polar cooker :) Recently, I have been in the cooking blahs. Don't want to think about it. Don't want to make anything. But, I feel the winds of change creeping in again due to a pretty good batch of chili and cornbread I made last night. I thought I would share a recipe that my sis has been asking for forever and I keep promising to send her. I got it from one of those little cookbooks you get at the checkout line in the grocery. I love those things. They are hard to resist and usually help pull me out of my cooking funk. Here is the recipe for Blueberry-Oatmeal Muffins a good, wholesome snack. Graham almost at a whole batch of them one day. And, that is saying something.

Feel free to experiment with this recipe. The berries can be fresh, frozen, or dried. I have used a berry blend before. Cranberries would be good too. Since I rarely ever follow a recipe completely I like the flexibility.

1 cup vanilla or plain yogurt(I am into cooking with yogurt lately)

1 cup old fashioned or quick cooking oats

1/4 cup canola oil

1 egg or 2 egg whites, slightly beaten

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

2/3 cup whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup fresh or frozen(do not thaw)blueberries

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place paper baking cups in 12 regular size muffin cups, or grease bottoms only of muffin cups. In small bowl, mix yogurt and oats; set aside.

In large bowl, mix oil, egg, and brown sugar. Stir in flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and yogurt mixture(batter will be lumpy). Gently stir in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.

Bake 18 to 20min or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan.

1 comment:

carla said...

This recipe is a keeper at our house! Very yummy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...