Friday, October 23, 2009

Health Update

Liam had an ultrasound on Monday to check his kidneys for the last time. If everything looked good we were going to say that all was well. I had to take him in on Tuesday to check the circumcision that he had had the previous week(which was a horrible experience, both me and the Dr. were crying because you could tell he was in alot of pain. Boy do I love our Doc. She is so caring and has two little boys of her own. Mom wisdom combined with medical learning is a great combo.) She went over the ultrasound with me then. Looks like Liam is still mildly enlarged in one kidney. Long story short, this means we have to watch him very closely for urniary tract or kidney infections. If he ever gets a fever we have to get him seen right away to make sure it isn't an infection. He will also have to have follow-up ultrasounds at all his regular check-ups. The next one will be his 2mo. checkup. Hopefully it will clear up as he grows. But, we will keep a good eye on him and continue to pray. I was telling my mom, right after Liam was circumcised, and I was crying and he was crying(it was not a good day) that you should never have children unless you are totally okay with having your heart squeezed, stomped on, and pretty much run over on a consistent basis. Parenting is not for sissies that is for sure. It is almost unbearable to think of your children in pain or hurting. But, it also makes you so much more aware of the pain in the world. Of what is truly important. I am so thankful to be the mom of these two precious little boys. And, can't believe all they have taught me already.

Also, while we were at the Dr.s, there was a great push for us to get the flu and H1N1 vaccine. Our Dr. was very concerned that both Graham and I get vaccinated since Liam is a newborn and if we get sick and then he gets sick it can be very serious(especially with his condition) so, I caved in and let Graham get the H1N1 we have to go back for him to get the flu shot because they were out of them...I don't know how I feel about it all. I feel darned if we do darned if we don't. I didn't want any of us to have to get vaccinated but, with Liam being so little I think its the best choice. Its just hard to know. But, I thought I would share our experience for any of you thinking about getting it for your kids. Graham got the nasal spray of H1N1 on Tuesday. Yesterday, he started looking a little sick in his eyes, had mild diarhea, fever, headache, and slight cough (sounds awful I know). He is playing and eating and drinking just fine so I think he had a mild reaction. I am going to report it to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System(VAERS) just to let them know and help them keep track of the response to this vaccine. I will wait to get the regular flu shot for Graham until he is all better from this one. I feel like it is better to get a little sick from the vaccine than to get really sick from the flu. Its just so hard to know.

Oh, and Liam's jaundice looks much better. Whew, I think that is everything right now.

1 comment:

carla said...

Sorry I missed your call! We went on a little vacation this weekend (blog post tonight). I don't blame you for getting the H1N1 vaccine. My family Dr. said if babies under 6 months should get it and that would include the family. I guess mine are big enough and healthy enough that they can fight it, but if I was in the same room as the vaccine I would get it at this point. It doesn't seem to be readily available here...and my pediatrician has taken a "no opinion" stance on the vaccine. Not exactly helpful so I was thankful for my own Doctor's opinion.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...