


Cold Lake formed after the eruption.

You can't really tell but Liam has his hand in his pocket just like daddy. That has been his thing lately.
Hmmm, looks like some busy little beavers have been hard at work.On our way home from Oregon we decided to take a "little" (2hrs) detour up to Mt. St. Helens. It had been at least 10 years since Heath and I went up there when we first got married. The day was so clear, it was the perfect chance to see the mountain. As we were explaining the eruption back in May 1980 the conversation in the car went something like this:
Graham, "So, the mountain blew its top off?"
Heath, "Yep, buddy it did. I was a little boy and it blew ash all the way over to my house in Idaho and killed all our turkeys."
Graham, "So, it just blew the top right off?"
Me, "Yeah, it sure did. Look at that big crater. That is where the landslide was."
Graham, "So, there was a hot lava explosion and the top just blew right off...is that going to happen again?"
Us, "Oh no! Don't worry they have scientist watching this mountain everyday and they would sound an alarm if anything was going to happen. We are perfectly safe.
Graham, "Whew, thats good."
I didn't get many pictures. None of the actual mountain. But, I did get some at a lake that was formed after the eruption. It was still pretty snowy up there so you couldn't drive to the very last observatory. But, it was fun just to get out of the car and be in the mountains :)
1 comment:
I'm so glad you took a "detour"! Heath is a great example for your boys!
Happy Mother's Day!
I love you ;)
Barb
Post a Comment