I was telling a friend yesterday that I am having such a hard time “feeling” like it is Easter. I think its mainly the gray sky and never ending snow. Daffodils and tulips are more what I am thinking this time of year. I also tell myself that I am always pressed for time, you know, devotions come last on a long list of “other” things to do. But, the Lord gave me a very rich blessing this morning. Grammie slept in. So, I quietly crept downstairs praying he would stay asleep for a good while. While I was making my coffee(just a cup, I promise, I am taking a tea break, I do that sometimes) I started thinking, “ Oh good, now I can catch up on face book, make some replies that I have meaning to get to, maybe surf the web for a bit before G gets up…” Enter my conscience: “Facebook? Surfing the internet…come on Christie, so you don’t have time for devotions. Yeah, I buy that one.” Now, I have to tell you, I might be kind of weird, sorry, no, I am really weird, but I like it when the Lord convicts me. I don’t like it when other people call me out, that just makes me mad ;) But, when the Spirit of the Lord nudges on my heart to gently call me to the truth. It, well it just feels right and good. Very good. Actually, the most frightening thing I can possible think of is not feeling the conviction anymore, the Lord’s guidance in my life. Not to feel it would be not to know Him and that is the most horrible thing I can think of in all of life. Truly. C.S. Lewis said, “It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present in us; it is the very sign of His presence.” Bring on the dirt!
And so this Good Friday, the Lord blessed me with time and blessed me by prodding me to use it wisely, in the best way possible, by spending time with him, my Father. I got online and read Beth Moore’s blog entry for the day and cried cleansing tears as she so beautifully described Good Friday and its meaning. Jesus died for my sins. He then rose from the grave. He conquered death. We truly have nothing to fear. This is the Good News of Easter! Christ is Risen! He is Risen Indeed! Christmas brings warmth. Easter brings hope. The hope of glory. Thank you, sweet Jesus.
Now, I also have to reflect on the other side of Easter, which shouldn’t probably be called Easter at all, just Spring Fest or something of that sort. Don’t get me wrong I am all about lovely pastel eggs, little children scurrying around looking for the prize egg, Easter baskets and candy. Such fun, wonderful memories. And, I intend to carry them on with my kids. But, I would be going very, very amiss if I ever let that crowd out the true meaning of this blessed time of the year. Heaven help me if I ever forget to tell them that Jesus loves them, thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread, that he died for them, and that when they put their hope and trust in him, believing in him they too will live with him forever. The eternal Easter! Spring time forever! Party Hardy!!! Easter is such a good time to introduce kids to the story of Jesus. Now, I have to tell you my little dude, is so not there! Ha! He is all about the Easter bunny and candy. But, that is okay too. The last thing I want to do is shove it down his throat. My parents did not do that to me or my sister. They taught us and modeled to us their faith. We were without a doubt aware of who ran the show in our lives and that was Jesus. But, with so much love and joy in our house who could resist? I knew that Jesus was real. And I wanted to know him too. I have noticed that kids tend to have a natural curiosity when they are ready to learn about Jesus. They start to ask questions. They want to know. Jesus himself had such poignant words for teaching children, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Matthew 19:14 I guess I feel so strongly about this because children, in their very essence, are Spring time. New and fresh, full of questions and wonder. And, Easter is springtime. Easter is for children and Easter is for you and me. A gift. Priceless yet free to all who seek it. Lets seek it! Seek it with all our hearts!
May you have a very blessed Easter. May the truth of this holiday make its home in your heart.
Peace and Joy,
Christie
3 comments:
I'm hearing you. Easter is a balancing act for me. I'm happy with what I decided to do this year. I'll blog about it. I'll have to check out Beth's blog. Thanks for the idea.
Couldn't be spoken better! It just confirms why I love you! I pray you, "Baby Graham", Heath, and "Baby Smith" have a blessed Easter!
Girl- I know what you mean by being convicted by God and not by others. I had one of those moments where someone else brought something to my attention, and it brought me to tears. It hurt a great deal, but when I was thinking about what they said (being upset that they would say such a thing to me) God quietly said to me that that person was right. Once God came in and confirmed the others words (in a far more gentle fashion) I was able to take them and run with them and am now working on that area that I was convicted in.
Post a Comment