Friday, May 30, 2014

The Still Room

 

still·room
ˈstilˌro͞om,-ˌro͝om/
noun
Britishhistorical
noun: still room; noun: still-room
  1. a room in a large house used by the housekeeper for the storage of preserves, cakes, and liqueurs and the preparation of tea and coffee.

 Origin

early 18th century: a term used earlier for a room in a house where a still was kept for the distillation of perfumes and cordials.

 I recently read a book that took place during the early 1800's in a large English manor. In it were many references to the still room and the still room maid. In the story, this was the room where cosmetics were made for the lady of the house, tinctures were concocted, herbal remedies, cleaning products, and all manner of recipes for other household needs were whipped up and stored. As I was reading I thought, "Ooh, I need a still room!" The above photograph is of the still room at Pentworth House. Isn't it lovely?  What a wonderful thing for a home to have. This is especially appealing to me since I am becoming more and more involved in making my own household products and toiletries. I would go crazy with a space to dry herbs, mix up my Essential Oils, store teas and medicines etc. I feel like the kitchen doesn't quite cut it for this sort of thing. I think I need to tell Heath to build me a still room or better yet, an English manor, because I am finding that I really could use more space.

  I think this would do quite nicely.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I agree. Lovely. Maybe you should convert your dining room. :-) Hehe.

Barb said...

I think we should be neighbors ~ yep, I think so.32

Barb said...

Um. . . . ignore that "32" in prior comment. Have no earthly idea where it came from and why it's there. :)

gma Peg said...

lets go to Pentworth...I am sure we are being "called"

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...