Monday, January 13, 2014

My inspiration word for 2014

I have been pondering what I would like my inspirational word for 2014 to be. This whole notion of having a word that sets the tone for the year ahead is very fun and positive for me. But, as always, I struggle coming up with just the right word. Recently, while reading a book, I came across the word flourish and I was like, "Zut alores! I have found it!" Flourish is a beautiful word. I love to see it written out. I love its meaning:

flour·ish
ˈfləriSH/
verb
verb: flourish; 3rd person present: flourishes; past tense: flourished; past participle: flourished; gerund or present participle: flourishing
1.
(of a person, animal, or other living organism) grow or develop in a healthy or vigorous way, esp. as the result of a particularly favorable environment.
"wild plants flourish on the banks of the lake"


So lovely. And, I thought, "Yes, this is what I would love to see in the year ahead."
I would love to see my family flourish.
I would love to see my children flourish.
I would love to see my marriage flourish.
I would love to see my art flourish.
I would love to see my ministry flourish.
I would love to see my friendships flourish.

Yes, with my new word, I would be the recipient of all good things! And, that is when the Lord starting speaking into my heart...oh, boy. You see there is a lot of "my, me, and mine" in my desire to flourish. In fact, it reminds me of Finding Nemo, where all the seagulls, their focus being entirely on their next meal, are only capable of saying, "Mine! Mine! Mine!" The Lord was saying, ever so gently, "No, no, no. You see the fact is, I might not flourish in 2014. The ones I love might not flourish in 2014. There might be pain, there might be struggle, there might be rough times ahead. What then?

I felt the Lord take my word for 2014 right out of my hands and replace it with a new one, but this time he implanted it in my heart. This year instead of struggling to find my word I want to accept His word. And, the word He bequeathed to me is: Prayer. 


This word is vastly different from flourish. In this word my knees get sore. I struggle. Prayer is not easy for me. It is not uncommon for me to be praying and halfway through I am suddenly making a grocery list or thinking of all the things I need to do. I am constantly pulling myself back, with an, "Oh, yes, sorry Lord, what was I praying about?" But, I have continued to pray all these years because I know that it is very important. And, even though I am a flawed and stilted prayer, He answers. Oh, my does he answer. 


Recently, the Lord has shown me how important and life changing prayer is. While I was home in Oregon, visiting my mom for Christmas, it was quickly apparent to me that all was not well with my mama. She was limping and wincing in pain whenever she walked, and my mama is tough, not one to show that she is hurting, so I knew it was bad. When we talked about it she shared her concerns that she just couldn't take time to care for herself because she has no insurance and takes care of my little niece during the day. After I returned home I was so uneasy about her pain that I asked Heath's mom and dad to please be praying for my mom. They are awesome prayer warriors and said, they would, absolutely be praying. The next day, my mom called and said, "Christie, have you been praying for me?" I said, "Yes, and I asked Ray and Peggy to pray also." There was silence on the line. She then said, "I woke up this morning with no pain." Boom.

We are a VERY talkative family. but mom and I just sat there listening to each other breath. We were both very much aware that we had been visited by the healing hand of a Holy God and it was, well, I don't really have words, but it was magnificent.

That was the first indicator to me that prayer should be as important to me as breathing. Secondly, I read this book. The lives that these young women led while imprisoned for their belief in Jesus was so powerful. And, the focus on prayer and its power was overwhelming. I would highly recommend reading it. It was an absolute inspiration to me.

And, so the word has found me this year. I am excited about. Weak prayer that I am, I am very excited because when I am weak, then He is strong.
Many blessings to all who might be reading this. I am praying for you.

1 comment:

Barb said...

All I can say is: "Ahhhh . . . .
" Thank you for sharing and caring and praying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...