Right this very minute I am happily ensconced in my fuzzy robe. Johann Strauss is playing in the background(Graham said I am allowed to listen to it even though he doesn't like it.) My boys are happily playing Legos together. These mornings must be remembered, written down, to prove that they exist! I thought the boys would be a handful today because they woke up grumpy. Liam said that Graham's breath was stinky and Graham said that Liam's breath was stinky and they were fighting about it. But, they seemed to get over and move on.
I have been trying a bit of a schedule change with out home school lessons. I recently downloaded a free kindle book, How to Homeschool Your First Grader. One of the things I walked away with after reading it was the idea that for some families late afternoons/evenings are the best time for learning. That resonated with me so we are giving it a go. I like it because first thing in the morning is usually when my boys want to play and it is also the time I like to fiddle around on the computer, drink my tea, start laundry etc. So far, so good. I like the rhythm.
We had a super duper lesson time on Monday. Graham noticed that robins are starting to show up on our back fence, this led to feeding the robins cracker crumbs and setting out our birdhouses for them. Well, then I remembered that Graham had checked out a couple of bird books at the library recently so we pulled those out and read all about our feathered friends. We studied where certain species come from, Graham read me a story about birds, and then we took a field trip to the pet store to look at birds. This has led to an all out bird fanaticism around here. Graham desperately wants us to get a "budgie" (parakeet). This might be in the works for his birthday this year. He is so into it. He wants us to go on nature walks and make a field journal of all the birds that we see. I might note that this Audubon obsession is in his blood. His grandpa Ray is a bird expert. He knows bird types like the back of his hand. In fact he even gets wild birds to perch on his hand. Very cool. It is a fun obsession. Much better than Skylander which was his last one. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment