Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Expounding

I need to expound a little bit on our Thanksgiving doings and share my absolute favorite part of the festivities (of which I have precious few pictures all of them being somewhat trapped on my brand, spankin' new cell phone). So, my absolute favorite part of Thanksgiving was meeting a new friend. My uncle brought his fiancee, who is lovely, and an elderly woman, Ellie, whom he befriended when he was maintenance man at their apartment complex. Ellie has since moved into assisted living and has absolutely no one. Can you imagine that? Her husband passed away. She has never had children. Step-children and extended family live quite far away as I understand. My uncle asked her if she would like to come and she was thrilled. Let me just say, she was enchanting. Sharp as a tack, she had the most wonderful stories of her great-grandparents traveling from Kentucky to Oregon on the Oregon Trail! She loved watching the kids play and at the end of dinner she had us all pose for a group portrait. It was sort of like having a grandma again. I so miss my grandmas, she brought them back to me and how precious the older ones among us are. So, if you are reading this, and you are lucky enough to still have a grandma or grandpa or two GO AND HUG THEM AND LOVE THEM!!! And, ask them all kinds of questions about when they were kids, and about their folks and their grandmas and grandpas. Because when they are gone the questions go unanswered and you can't hug them and tell them how much you adore them. I hope that the Lord is telling my grandmas whenever I think about them. Something like, "Dee, Christie is thinking about you right now and wishing you were there." But, then He probably looks at her, chuckles, and says, "But, she doesn't know how hard it is for us to wait for her to come here!" That is the consolation isn't it. I will see my grandmas again. They loved Jesus. I love Jesus. We will spend eternity hanging out together with Him! Now that is JOY! Now that is a Thanksgiving party for the ages!

My next favorite memory is Graham pretending to be a pastor marrying my uncle and his fiancee. Oh. My. Word. He was hilarious! Also, playing Gestures was quite fun. My team lost. I think Graham won it for the other team ;) Yep, it was a great thanksgiving. There is so much to be thankful for. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...