Every year, at Christmas time a little book comes out of the boxes of decorations. I totally forget about it until I see it again. Then, it is like seeing an old friend. Its called, Preparing for Jesus by Walter Wangerin Jr. It is a book of meditations on the Coming of the Christ, Advent, Christmas, and the Kingdom (that is what the cover says!). Anyway, every morning, I cant wait to read the chapter for that day. I wait for Graham to take his nap, pour myself a cup of tea, and read. Wow, it is so good to focus on what this holiday is really all about!!! It is a refresher for my soul because I tend to get caught up in the decorations, events, presents, you-name-it trappings of the season.
So, if you are like me, I highly recommend this little book. So wonderful!
Here is a prayer from day 3:
O Father of our Lord Jesus
and, by him, Father of ourselves,
when you see that the world is too much with us(some-you must see for us, since that same world blinds us to our real conditions) rouse us. Stir up our hearts. Let heaven intrude upon our earthly affairs to rip our attentions from the world to you again.
Christmas is such an intrustion.
At Christmas heaven invaded the world.
Immanuel Jesus caused the fall and the rising of many. Even so do we pray that Immanuel would frighten and free us too.
Amen
Blessings to you as the Advent gets nearer!
No comments:
Post a Comment